home page for alittlehistory.com1874 The Mounted Police Tame the Wild Westthe Metis half of the 1885 Northwest Rebellionthe Native half of the 1885 Northwest Rebellion1900-05 Diary of a student and young teacher1908-1920 homesteading experiences and lifestyle1920's farm and community lifestyle1954-56 diary of a boy, before the effects of televisionthe future: extending human limitations through technology (eg. computers and inline skating), presenting history with applets, a new family recreation program, etc.


February 1884 Incident:

In February of 1884, east of Regina in what is now known as Saskatchewan, a few Natives died of starvation. So, a number of times a few other Natives went to the government storehouse and asked the farming instructor for food. Each time, they were turned down. Finally they broke into the storehouse. As they took flour and bacon, the farming instructor tried to stop them. He was beaten, knocked down and kicked.

The NWMP Superintendent and Inspector Dean arrived with twenty police. They found a house full of Natives, all with guns. The window had been removed, and a lot of guns were sticking out of it. The Natives told the Indian Agent they would not allow themselves to be arrested.

Showing a lot of courage, the police formed themselves into a line, and pulled out their pistols. They all stood there in full view. The Superintendent walked towards the house. A big Native with a shotgun stepped up so they were now standing about two feet away from each other. They soon agreed that this was a good time to talk.

The Natives who took the food refused to give up. The chief explained that they were under great distress. Hunting and fishing had become impossible, and rations were not enough, so what else could they do?

It was then agreed to increase the rations. The Natives who took the food got suspended sentences when they promised to pay for what they had stolen.


  to Part 9: June 1884 Incident.


to:     home page for a little history.com